Tuesday, August 4, 2009

meeting: Trail of Crumbs

So, Sarah and I met to discuss the book.

Well, we met and caught up but never got to talking about the book so she came along with me on my appointments and errands. Sitting in the Blue Cross office talking about Trail of Crumbs was pretty funny.

Sarah will have to speak for herself, but I think we both had problems relating to and caring about the narrator. She was whiny and self-obsessed. The writing style also turned us both off - too jumping around at places. I wish she'd put in more poetry and such, if she thinks of herself as a poet.

Sarah was very good about keeping us on the book, though I was distracted and brain dead. I see many more fun book talks to come!

So, it was fun to see Sarah and talk books, and funny enough one of my errands took us next door to a new-ish used book store/fish store! Perfect for you, Gail! Seriously, half the store was aquariums and the other half used books. Pretty darn funny. Anyway, I recommend all people in the New Orleans area head to Metairie Road's Brier Patch Book Store. He has a nice selection, and I think it's hard to find used books in New Orleans.

Sarah and I spent quite some time reminiscing over books we've loved - and both of us frequently find we are the only people who don't like what everybody else loves. Which is good to talk through. Sometimes I know for me, it's just the mood I'm in - if I'm in the emotional space to commit to a book or not.

And, we chose our next book! I'll post that in a new post. Hopefully it's easier to get in libraries.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I want to throw Kim over my knee and give her a good spanking. Then I want to say "would you like some fancy imported cheese to go with that spoiled well travelled well educated well off whine??? Get over it...
    I'm only on page 33.
    I'll keep reading. I like the visuals and the food descriptions. Yum. But man o man is she an ingrate.

    ReplyDelete