Thursday, August 13, 2009

Heidi: Back When We Were Grownups

I'll admit it - I'm not a big fan of fiction and haven't been for a number of years.  It's darn hard to get me pulled into a novel and care about the characters (the key notable exception is the The Secret Life of Bees and almost anything by Alexander McCall Smith).

And this was true to form - it was hard to get into, and I complained to Sarah.

But the complaint was premature, and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.  Good thought provocation.  

Most of us, especially as we age, at times wonder about the path not taken.  I try very hard to not make any decisions that I will later regret and instead am happy with how things are, but it is not abnormal to think about other possibilities.  What if?  

Here is a woman (SPOILER ALERT) who had a life planned out for her, which she dumped to jump into another life that pre-existed her.  She married a man with children and was fully wrapped into the craziness of their lives.  More a matriarch than a stepmother.  But the man she married died (mysteriously, perhaps suicidally) only six years later - so in her mid 20's she's widowed and raising four children and running a family business in their home.  The setting of the business is critical and a deft stroke by the author.  

I found all the characters annoying at times but not unlikeable.  Instead, this was a realistic portrayal of almost every family I've ever known well - with warts and all.  I particularly liked the use of Peter, the stepson of her stepdaughter.  

The whole Will storyline was a fantastic reminder of my own recent resolution: no recycling men.  We break up and move on for a reason, and going back doesn't work no matter how we try.  I thought it compelling, how hard they both tried but it was prophetically (and maybe pathetically) doomed.  Poor Will.

There were several passages I wanted to allude to here, but I read on the plane and didn't mark them ... 

But I think of the silly cliche "Fake it until you make it" and it has an element of truth.  Rebecca faked her happiness and exuberance, but that was who she really was.  I liked the ending quite a bit.

But why did she and Zeb never get together?  I found that puzzling.  

I loved Aunt Ida.  And the mechanic so happily married to the crazy lady?  Fascinating characters, all of them.  The plumber or electrician shouting out advice and invited to birthday parties - or the woman with the wonderful hats who helped serve at times but was invited as a participant at the most meaningful occasions.  Tina staying at Rebecca's house and breakfasting together.  Life and relationships are messy and I liked how authentic that is.  I think a message was that laying out the plans most carefully - as Will did - can lead to rigid dissatisfaction. But being open to the moment and the crazy can lead to an exasperating yet fulfilling life.  And I liked that message indeed.  Like a Flannery O'Connor story without the pathology.  Rebecca is exasperated with Min Foo's short-lived marriages and has her mechanisms for coping (such as refusing to admit she knows where Hakim is from - and didn't Hakim seem to eagerly be such an outstanding father?), but she doesn't make a big production of disapproval.  They all squabble and bicker but still show up on Thursday evenings.  

So, it ended up being more enjoyable than I expected at first, and I would read more by Anne Tyler.  

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I read this in Vegas, and didn't mark anything in particular, but here goes...and if you haven't read it, don't read my comments, as I'm sure there will be spoilers.

    I have to agree with you - that the characters, many of them were unlikeable. But then again, also agreeing, though siblings and family squabble, they still come together. I wonder, during that thanksgiving dinner, after Rebecca had left with Abdul, if they had said anything wonderful about her. Their personalities in the book wouldn't seem to allow it, but I really wanted everyone to just appreciate her...=)

    And I don't understand the ending, but maybe because it's not something I can relate to so much right now. Maybe I'm too young, hee hee. I waited, reading, and it took a LONG time before she started doing anything to change her current life. I waited, for her to either braid her hair again, or wear something different...but she didn't, and never really did. When she finally contacts Will, it was more than halfway through the book - one of the earlier signs of changes that I see actually happening (and not just thought of...besides going home to visit her mom).

    I'm glad things didn't work out with Will; though younger, I understand how things that once worked out simply doesn't later. Actually, maybe if they DID get together then, she wouldn't have been fully happy either. However, in the end, I don't see her as happy, TRULY, either. Because throughout the whole book, she wasn't. I mean, she certainly can't toss off family, but I didn't see her make any changes to be happier. And I was hoping to find her do something that would lead her to more than what she had.

    I was waiting for something to happen with Zeb, if anything - he was probably the one for her. After all, HE was the one that made her laugh at the start of everything, not her husband. Her husband, in fact, based on her memories, wasn't the one that brought her joy, and I think that it's important in any relationship that each person brings some sort of joy to the other, despite hard times and so on. It seemed almost like a one-sided relationship, where she was the one bringing joy to the family. Commitment is kinda separate from happiness, but both are intertwined together fully in any relationship, but hers seemed of mostly commitment only. =(

    And it makes me sad, because I WANT her to be happy. To NOT be taken for granted by the others in her family (and she seems to have few friends), and to be appreciated and understood. I wish she would have shared how NoNo thought she may have been just "used" by Barry to take care of Peter. A mother should have that relationship with her daughter - even if a stepdaugher - if they are to truly appreciate and understand one another.

    Again, Zeb seemed the only one to do all that, and truly know who she is, what she felt like, without her really having to say much. He was probably my favorite character, hee hee. Peter, I liked too - he was one of those that was slowly warming up and appreciating Rebecca.

    Maybe it's a reminder that we aren't to take our mothers for granted, or to look more carefully at those that we find way too enthusiastic, or different, from us. After all, it's important that human beings do that - if not, it can allow things, like Joe's possible suicide, to happen.

    But yeah. The ending disappointed, probably because I really just wanted SOMETHING different to happen. I liked the author's writing though - easy to read, and easy to get into and easy to imagine myself in the settings she set up. =)

    ReplyDelete