Sunday, March 7, 2010

Midaq Alley by Nahfouz Maguib

I really, really liked this novel - his ability to craft characters reminded me of Chekhov (my ultimate favorite writer). He has a very Arabic quality to his narrative, but he clearly is also very adept at Western genres. He clearly (and probably the translator) explain certain cultural things I would otherwise miss in a way that does not detract from the story.

Set during World War II in a neighborhood in Cairo, we are introduced to a variety of characters and their relationships.

Some people are warm and considerate, but most others have quirks that go to serious personality flaws (like the hashish addict grandfather who hooks up with boys). The most interesting part is how they all interact with each other (with genuine affection, with disdain, with manipulation, etc.), and how that alley really is the extent of their world for most.

The character I was most fascinated with was the orphan who leaves her foster mother to become a prostitute rather than marry the ordinary man she agreed to - leaving behind a life of children and domesticity (good and bad) for a life of riches and adventure. Sometimes I wonder - if in that situation, which would I choose? I'm not sure my grandmother would like my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment